The Match Lab

How to Answer the ‘I Geek Out on’ Hinge Prompt


Hinge is all about creating meaningful relationships between users, focusing on shared interests and passions.

That’s why “I Geek Out on” is one of the best Hinge prompts.

Understanding the ‘I Geek Out on’ Hinge Prompt

This prompt focuses on your passions and interests.

A good answer to this prompt helps your potential matches get a sense of what you’re excited about.

This not only helps them understand who you are and how you spend your free time, but it also gives them a chance to see what interests you might have in common.

Read: 6 Best Hinge Pictures for More Likes & Matches

5 Best Ways to Answer the ‘I Geek Out on’ Prompt on Hinge

The key to answering this prompt is to inject your personality into your answer.

And we really mean show some personality, unapologetically so.

Highlight your most unique interests, throw in a splash of humor, and avoid the trap of giving a predictable answer.

Say something different.

1. Showcase Your Interests Authentically

This prompt is a chance to shine by revealing your passions.

Be specific about what you love.

Instead of saying “movies,” you’d want to write something more specific like: “80s cult classics – their groundbreaking special effects and storytelling are unrivaled.”

With an answer like this, it’s good to say what you like and also give a short glimpse into why that interest resonates with you.

It shows others your depth of your tastes and the authentic side of your geekiness.

Read: How to Answer the ‘Together We Could’ Hinge Prompt

2. Mix Humor with Sincerity

Humor is a great way to connect with someone on Hinge, and so is sincerity.

Balance is key.

Going for something too funny can come across as trying too hard and also overshadow the genuine insight into who you are. 

But still, having a profile with no humor at all might come off as dry and will be less likely to get you any solid matches on Hinge.

Aim for a witty remark about your interest that also offers a truthful look into what makes you tick.

Here’s an example prompt answer that does this:

I geek out on … meticulously brewing the perfect cup of coffee – because life is too short for mediocre caffeine.

Read: 40 Funny Hinge Prompt Answers (for Guys & Women)

3. Avoid Overly Common Responses

Steer clear of basic cliché answers like “travel” and “food.”

Way too many people give these boring overused answers on Hinge. We’ve all seen it. Yikes. 

Dig deeper into your passion to find the original part of your interest that makes it yours. 

Instead of saying “I geek out on traveling,” you might say, “I geek out on hunting down the best street food in any city I visit – the spicier, the better.” 

This specificity makes your answer more memorable and paints a clearer picture of your personality.

It also gives your matches richer info about you, which helps make your conversations on the app better.

Read: 15 Ways to Get More Matches on Hinge

4. Add Depth with Vulnerability

Showcasing some vulnerability in a prompt answer can transform a simple response into a compelling story that makes people connect with you.

Start with a fact about what you geek out on, and then peel back a layer to reveal why it matters to you.

For example, if you love astronomy, then a vivid prompt answer like this could be perfect:

I geek out on … astronomy – the night sky reminds me of stargazing with my grandpa as a kid, where I found my love for the unknown.

5. Plant a Conversation Starter

Your prompt answer should first and foremost be an invitation to a conversation.

You want your prompts to be conversation starters.

Give a response that invites a question or makes someone want to share their similar interest.

For example: I geek out on … trying new recipes that have a 90% chance of failure and a 10% chance of getting me a Michelin star – what’s your worst kitchen fail?

Read: 54 Best Hinge Pickup Lines

Avoid These Prompt Answer Mistakes

Steer Clear of Controversial Opinions

Expressing your passions is great, but you should avoid controversial opinions that might be too politicized or polarizing. 

Your goal is to attract others, not to alienate them.

Don’t Give One-Word Answers

Brevity might be the soul of wit, but one-word answers come across as boring and underwhelming.

They make it seem like you lack a personality and just don’t care.

Read: How to Answer the ‘My Simple Pleasures’ Hinge Prompt

Don’t Be Too Intense

Your answers should show your personality and be fun to read.

Don’t make yourself seem unhinged or obsessed with something to the point that it turns potential matches off.

Aim for a tone that is passionate and authentic while still being relatable and approachable.

More Example Answers to the ‘I Geek Out on’ Hinge Prompt

When answering this prompt, you want to mention the topics, interests, hobbies, and games you’re most passionate about.

Your answers will help others find common ground with you and start up conversations.

Here are some example prompt answers:

I geek out on…

Conspiracy theories… but don’t worry, I still believe the Earth is (probably) round.

90s sitcoms and can quote ‘Friends’ better than Ross can say ‘We were on a break!'”

Organizing things into spreadsheets. Yes, I have a spreadsheet for my spreadsheets.

Indie films – I’m always look for hidden gems at film festivals.

Classic literature. I’m working on reading all of Shakespeare’s works. My middle school English teacher would be proud.

Ancient history and the ruins of lost civilizations.

Read: How to Write Good Hinge Prompt Answers: 12 Tips & Examples

Vintage vinyl records and spend hours hunting for rare finds.

Board games – my game night collection is award-worthy.

Environmental conservation and volunteering for beach cleanups and tree planting.

Fitness and new workout routines.

Learning new languages – currently learning my fifth one.

Fashion history – it’s wild to see how styles have evolved over time.

Architecture. One of my hobbies is just exploring a new city and photographing the most unique buildings I can find.

Attempting to train my cat to do tricks. So far, he’s mastered ignoring me.

Read: The 39 Best Hinge Openers to Start Conversation

Have a Professional Dating Profile Writer Answer Your Hinge Prompts for You

Want a professional dating profile writer to select three Hinge prompts for your profile and write your prompt answers for you?

Check out our dating profile writing service and select the Hinge app icon to get started.

And for help selecting your best six photos for Hinge, try our dating photo analyzer.

Just upload some photos of yourself, and our algorithm will reveal which photos you should be using in your profile and the ideal order they should go in.

Recent Posts