The 55 Best Tinder Openers to Start Conversation
Writing a good opener for Tinder is really hard.
That’s why we’ve put together a long list of great opening lines you can choose from. Find one you like and paste it right into your next Tinder chat.
The 55 Best Tinder Openers:
1. “If we were in a video game, what level of difficulty would you choose for our relationship?”
2. “I couldn’t help but notice that we’re a 99% match. I guess the other 1% is for us to discover.”
3. “I must be a snowflake because I’ve fallen for you, and I can’t seem to let it melt away.”
4. “They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but when I saw your photos, all I could think was one word: Wow.”
5. “If we were at a bookstore, I’d definitely check you out first. Care to recommend a good read?”
6. “On a scale of 1 to America, how free are you this weekend for a date?”
7. “Do you believe in love at first swipe, or should I refresh my profile and try again?”
8. “Can I borrow a pen? I want to write down the moment I met you.”
9. “Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at your profile, everyone else disappears.”
10. “If you were a vegetable, you’d be a cute-cumber. Mind if I take you out for some salad?”
11. “I have a confession to make: I swiped right because I couldn’t resist the gravitational pull of your smile.”
12. “If you were a burger at McDonald’s, you’d be the McGorgeous. Can I take you out for some fast-food romance?”
13. “Is your name Google? Because you have everything I’ve been searching for.”
14. “I have a feeling we could write a better love story than Twilight. Want to be my co-author?”
15. “Do you have a real name or can I call you mine?”
16. “If you were a tropical fruit, you’d be a fineapple. Mind if I take a bite?”
17. “I’m not a photographer, but I can definitely picture us together.”
18. “Is your dad an artist? Because you’re a masterpiece.”
19. “Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I’m feeling a strong connection here.”
20. “Are you a camera? Because every time I look at your pictures, I smile.”
21. “If you were a fruit, you’d be a fineapple. Can we be sweet together?”
22. “Do you have a Band-Aid? Because I just scraped my knee falling for you.”
23. “Is your name secretly Ariel? Because we Mermaid for each other.”
24. “If we were at Hogwarts, I’d definitely be in your house. You cast a spell on me.”
25. “I must be a snowflake, because I’ve fallen for you and melted.”
26. “They say Disneyland is the happiest place on earth, but being matched with you makes me think otherwise.”
27. “Is your dad a baker? Because you’re a cutie pie.”
28. “Do you have a map? Because I keep getting lost in your eyes.”
29. “If we were in a bookstore, I’d definitely find you in the ‘Fiction’ section because you’re unreal.”
30. “If you were a star, you’d be the brightest one in the sky. Mind if I make a wish?”
31. “Are you a campfire? Because you’re hot and I want s’more.”
32. “If you were a book, I’d keep reading you over and over again.”
33. “Do you have a name or can I call you mine and make it official?”
34. “Is your dad a photographer? Because you’re picture-perfect.”
35. “If you were a coffee, you’d be a double shot of espresso because you’re strong enough to keep me up all night.”
36. “If you were a burger, you’d be a cutie patty. Can I take you out for a cheesy date?”
37. “Are you a bank loan? Because you have my interest.”
38. “If you were a vegetable, you’d be a cutecumber. Can we turnip the romance?”
39. “Do you have a name, or can I call you mine and put it in my phone as ‘Future Ex’?”
40. “If you were a flower, you’d be a damn-delion because you’re fine as hell.”
41. “If you were a fruit, you’d be a pineapple because you’re the juiciest catch on this app.”
42. “If you were a vegetable, you’d be a ‘gorgeous gourd.’ Can we plant the seeds of love?”
43. “They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but your photos leave me speechless.”
44. “Are you a bank loan? Because you have my interest, and I want to invest in our future.”
45. “If you were a vegetable, you’d be an ‘adorable artichoke.’ Can we cook up something special together?”
46. “They say love is a journey, and I’d love to take a trip with you.”
47. “If we were in a bookstore, I’d find you in the ‘Romance’ section because our story is meant to be.”
48. “If we were at Hogwarts, you’d definitely be a Gryffindorable.”
49. “Are you a magician? Because every time I see your profile, you make all the other matches disappear.”
50. “If we were stranded on a desert island, what three things would you bring?”
51. “Is your personality as sparkling as your smile?”
52. “If you were a book, what would be the title of your life story?”
53. “If we were in a rom-com movie, how would our love story unfold?”
54. “If we were on a road trip, what kind of adventure would we embark on?”
55. “If we were books in a bookstore, which section would I find you shelved in?”
The Importance of Your Opening Line on Tinder
When using Tinder, your opening line is the most important thing you’ll do in starting a conversation with a match.
A strong opener motivates your match to reply to you with interest.
The best Tinder openers increase your chances of making a connection with your match and potentially leading to a successful first date.
What Makes for a Good Tinder Opener?
Here are our tips for writing your own openers to send on Tinder:
Personalize your opener
Personalize your opener to the person you’re messaging.
Look at their profile pictures, bio, and interests to come up with something unique that shows them that you’re genuinely interested in them and took the time to read their profile.
For example, if you notice they mention being a wine lover, try a playful opener related to their favorite vino. Or if they have a favorite celebrity or Netflix show in their bio, use that as a starting point for your message.
A personalized opener demonstrates that you’re genuinely interested in getting to know someone, not just making the same first move with every match.
The best Tinder openers make the other person feel special and understood.
Consider incorporating humor into your openers on Tinder.
A funny comment or clever pun can break the ice with a new match and lighten the mood, making it easier to connect.
Be playful and adventurous
Nobody wants a boring or generic message, so use your Tinder opener to showcase your personality and playful side.
For example, you could propose a hypothetical scenario, like their perfect first date or an ideal adventure they’d love to experience.
These openers encourage more in-depth conversation and show that you’re willing to be bold and take risks to get their attention while maintaining authenticity and confidence.
Ask a question
The best Tinder openers are those that ask a question.
Asking your match a question in your first message sparks curiosity and kicks off an engaging conversation that’s more likely to flow back and forth.
Make sure your question is open-ended and ideally relates to a topic from to your match’s profile.
Show genuine interest
Above all, your Tinder opener should convey that you have a genuine interest in the person behind the profile.
Use your first message to ask thoughtful questions that will encourage them to share more about their lives and interests.
By showing you’re fully engaged and interested in what they have to say, your match will be more likely to respond.
Keep it short and sweet
As you craft your Tinder openers, keep in mind that brevity is key.
Keep your first message short yet compelling.
Nobody wants to read a long paragraph as an opening line on Tinder.
Keep your openers to one or two sentences.
Remember that Tinder is a fast-paced dating app, so your opener should be quick to read and easy to reply to.
Best Types of Tinder Openers
Funny Tinder Openers
Using a funny opener on Tinder can be an excellent way to break the ice and show off your sense of humor.
Humor is attractive, and a witty or funny opener can help break the ice and make the conversation more enjoyable, increasing your chances of getting a reply.
Whether it’s cheesy pick-up lines, dad jokes, or puns, a good laugh can often guarantee a response on Tinder.
Question-Based Tinder Openers
Asking a thought-provoking or intriguing question is another effective Tinder opener.
Generic questions can spark conversation if they’re interesting and unique enough, but ideally ask a question that’s specific and relevant to the person’s profile or interests.
Compliment Tinder Openers
A sincere compliment can be a great way to start a conversation, especially if it’s specific and genuine.
Focus on something unique in your match’s profile that caught your attention.
Avoid generic compliments or overused phrases or focusing on physical appearance.
Emoji and Gif Openers
Sometimes, using an emoji or a gif can be a fun and light-hearted way to initiate a conversation on Tinder.
It adds a touch of creativity and can convey your emotions more effectively than words.
A well-placed emoji, like a winking face or a waving hand, can quickly convey your intentions.
Sending a relevant and amusing gif can showcase your fun side and make your match chuckle.
Cultural Reference Openers for Tinder
Incorporating pop culture references or quotes from movies, TV shows, or celebrities can make your Tinder opener more engaging and relatable.
It not only demonstrates your knowledge of popular culture but also helps you find common ground.
Avoiding Common Tinder Opener Mistakes
Avoid Generic Opening Lines
When starting a conversation on Tinder, avoid using generic opening lines like “Hi” or “What’s up?” because they’re unlikely to grab your match’s attention and don’t take the convo anywhere.
Instead, focus on something unique in your match’s profile to create a more personalized and engaging conversation starter.
By doing so, you’ll demonstrate that you’ve taken the time to truly look through their profile, which will make them more invested in the conversation.
Don’t Rely on Pickup Lines
Pickup lines are fun and can be effective as Tinder openers when you have absolutely nothing else to say, like if your match left their bio blank.
But in general, refrain from relying on cliché pick-up lines as they can come across as insincere or unoriginal.
While some people may appreciate the humor in them, a majority of users may roll their eyes at a “Is your dad a boxer? Because you’re a knockout!” type of message.
Don’t Focus Solely on Appearance
While it’s natural to be attracted to someone’s appearance, your opening message shouldn’t focus solely on their looks.
Commenting on a match’s physical features might make your match feel objectified and less likely to engage in a conversation because they’re not feeling seen for who they are as a person.
Instead, show interest in a match’s hobbies, interests, or experiences by referring to something from their profile.
Want Help Creating a Great Tinder Profile?
We at The Match Lab have spent years studying the science of how to write good Tinder bios and how to select the right photos you should use in a Tinder profile.
After years of research, we have developed a dating photo analyzer that uses an algorithm to select any person’s best photos for Tinder, or any other dating app. Just upload some photos of yourself, and our algorithm will reveal which photos you should be using in your Tinder profile and the ideal order they should go in.
We also offer professional dating profile writing services. Our professional Tinder profile writer can write your Tinder bio for you and help your profile stand out from the crowd.
Get started now, or learn more about us on our website, so you can start getting more likes and better matches on Tinder.