34 Hinge Conversation Starters: Icebreakers That Actually Work
Starting a conversation on Hinge is hard.
These 34 icebreakers are some of the best conversation starters for Hinge. Try one of them out on your next match.
The 34 Best Icebreakers for Hinge:
1. “What’s your favorite way to unwind?”
Discussing ways to unwind can help you find common ground and gain insight into the person’s daily life and self-care habits. Whether it’s going for a walk, watching a movie, or spending time with friends, sharing favorite relaxation methods can lead to a relaxed and enjoyable conversation about personal preferences and routines.
2. “What’s a book or movie that left an impact on you?”
Asking about a book or movie that impacted someone allows for a deeper conversation about ideas, emotions, and personal growth. This question can reveal a person’s values, tastes, and critical thinking skills, leading to a meaningful discussion about art and its influence on our lives.
3. “What’s the most interesting place you’ve travelled to?”
Sharing travel experiences can create a connection and inspire each other to explore new destinations. This question prompts the person to share stories about their adventures, cultural discoveries, and favorite memories, providing a platform for a lively and engaging conversation on world exploration.
4. “Best discovery: technology or grilled cheese?”
5. “What do you usually do for fun after work?”
Pro Tip: Best Openers for Starting Hinge Conversations
Hinge openers are opening lines that set the tone and direction of your conversation.
Openers can be great icebreakers on Hinge.
For a memorable and effective opening line, work off of the following tips:
- Playful debates: Compare two random and fun topics to spark engaging conversations, like Technology versus Grilled Cheese.
- Show interest in their profile: Comment on something related to their pictures or prompt, establishing a topic you both find interesting.
- Express curiosity: Ask open-ended questions to encourage more interaction and sharing of opinions.
By using Hinge openers that are tailored specifically to the other person’s profile, you’re more likely to spark chemistry and get a reply.
6. “What do you enjoy doing in your downtime over the weekend?”
7. “What hobby are you most passionate about nowadays?”
8. “What’s an activity you’ve always wanted to try, but haven’t had the chance to?”
The 3 conversation starters above focus on a match’s personal interests and experiences and can be an excellent ways to build a connection on Hinge.
Asking about hobbies and interests can help you understand someone’s preferences and lifestyle, which helps you tell whether you two are compatible.
It might also help you find common ground and spark engaging discussions about a first date idea.
9. “What’s the most memorable trip you’ve ever taken?”
10. “If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?”
11. “What’s your best travel story?”
Travel stories are another good way to break the ice and get to know someone better on Hinge.
With these 3 conversation starters above, you can ask about a match’s favorite travel experiences, share experiences from your own trips, or discuss items on your bucket lists.
These questions encourage the sharing of personal stories and may lead to discussions about dream vacations or future travel plans together.
Pro Tip: Prompts Set the Stage for Conversation Starters on Hinge
Hinge prompts are designed to help users craft a more interesting and conversational profile.
They serve as conversation starters by giving other users info to work with about someone’s personality, interests, lifestyle, life experiences, and worldviews.
Users on Hinge can choose from a variety of questions and statements, which encourages creativity and makes it easy for potential matches to initiate conversation on shared interests or intriguing answers.
Some examples of Hinge prompts that make for great icebreakers include:
- “My most irrational fear is…”
- “A perfect day would be…”
- “We’ll get along if you…”
- “Two truths and a lie…”
By including engaging prompts on your Hinge profile, you create opportunities for others to engage with you and spark conversations.
Some more of the best Hinge prompts include:
- “Dating me is like…” Give potential matches a glimpse of what it’s like being with you.
- “A social cause I’m passionate about is…” Show your values and share your beliefs.
- “The most spontaneous thing I’ve ever done is…” Share an exciting story that paints you in a fun light.
Ultimately, crafting engaging Hinge conversation starters revolves around creating genuine connections, expressing curiosity, and showcasing your personality through icebreakers, openers, and prompts.
12. Two Truths and a Lie
Playing a game of Two Truths and a Lie is a fun way to get to know someone on Hinge.
You can play this game by selecting it as one of your profile prompts or by playing it with a match when you’re messaging each other.
This game involves sharing three statements about yourself – two of which are true, while one is false.
It’s up to the other person to guess which statement is the lie.
Here’s an example:
- I’ve hiked to the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- I speak four languages fluently.
- I’ve been skydiving twice.
Including a mix of interests, hobbies, and travel experiences in your statements creates variety, keeps the conversation engaging, and allows you two to learn more about each other in a lighthearted way.
13. “Would you describe yourself as an introvert or an extrovert?”
14. “How do you typically handle stress?”
15. “If you had to give one up, which method of communication would you give up: text messages, phone calls, or in-person conversations?”
16. “What’s your biggest relationship pet peeve?”
These 4 conversation starters above focus on personality traits.
Talking about personality types can reveal insights about a person’s preferences, strengths, and character.
You might ask questions that explore whether someone is an introvert or extrovert, how they handle stress, and what their communication style is.
Pro Tip: Ask About Secret Talents and Skills
Uncovering a person’s secret talents and skills can be an exciting way to learn more about them.
These conversation starters can provide insight into your match’s interests, hobbies, and passions.
Some questions you might ask about talents are:
17. “What’s a secret talent or skill of yours that most people don’t know about?”
18. “What hobbies or activities do you enjoy doing in your free time?”
19. “Have you ever trained or competed in a unique sport or activity?”
Pro Tip: Discuss Past and Aspirational Relationships
Conversations about past and aspirational relationships allow people to share their experiences and reflect on what they have learned.
These types of questions help both you and your match gain insights into relationship patterns, values, and goals.
Here are some examples of relationship icebreaker questions you might ask:
20. “What are some lessons you’ve learned from past relationships?”
21. “What qualities or values do you think are most important in a romantic partner?”
22. “Do you have any relationship goals for the future?”
Always approach these conversations with empathy and understanding, as discussing past relationships can sometimes be a sensitive topic. The goal is to create a judgment-free space for sharing and learning about one another.
More Conversation Topics to Break the Ice on Hinge
Movies, Music, and Television
Exploring common interests in movies, music, and television can help you and a match learn more about each other and create many potential conversation points.
Try asking questions like:
23. “What was the last movie you watched in theaters?”
24. “Do you have a favorite TV show of all time?”
25. “What song has lights you the most, and why?”
26. “If you could attend any concert in history, which would you choose?”
Books, Games, and Culture
Having a conversation around books and games can give you insights into a person’s imagination, intelligence, and personal tastes.
Asking about cultural experiences can pave the way to discovering similarities and differences between upbringings.
Here are some questions you could ask:
27. “What was the last book you read, and would you recommend it?”
28. “Are you a fan online gaming or do you prefer classic board games?”
29. “Have you attended any interesting cultural events lately?”
30. “What’s one aspect of your own culture you’re proud of or find fascinating?”
Outdoor Adventures and Environmental Topics
Discussing outdoor adventures and environmental issues can reveal how someone spends their free time and their attitudes toward nature and the planet.
Some conversation starters to use on Hinge for these topics are:
31. “What’s your favorite outdoor activity?”
32. “Where’s an outdoorsy place you’ve enjoy exploring lately or want to visit?”
33. “Have you been on any exciting nature adventures recently?”
34. “Are there any environmental issues you feel particularly passionate about?”
Tailoring Conversation Starters to Your Hinge Match
An engaging conversation starter is key to piquing someone’s interest and getting a response on Hinge.
Your icebreaker will set the tone for the entire interaction.
Ideally, Hinge conversation starters should be crafted thoughtfully and personalized to your match, with a balance of being funny, flirty, or friendly.
It helps to tailor your opening message to something unique in the other person’s profile. This shows that you’ve paid attention to their details and are genuinely interested in getting to know them.
Reading and Analyzing a Match’s Profile
Before you dive into a conversation, make sure to thoroughly analyze your match’s profile.
Look for details in their photos and prompts that can provide a starting point for a conversation.
For instance, if you notice interesting travel pictures or hobbies, try asking them questions related to their experiences.
Remember to keep the conversation focused on your match and avoid making it about you, though do share information about yourself to be balanced.
Show genuine curiosity about their life and interests.
Focusing on Shared Interests
Once you’ve read your Hinge match’s profile carefully, you may find some shared interests you two have in common.
It’s ideal to capitalize on these common ground topics.
People tend to connect better with those who share similar passions and hobbies.
Start by mentioning the shared interest and ask open-ended questions to spark conversation. For example, if both of you enjoy hiking, ask them about their favorite trails or outdoor adventures they’d like to do in the future.
Focusing on shared interests allows for a more natural progression of the conversation, making it easier for both parties to contribute and feel comfortable with each other.
Dos and Don’ts for Successful Hinge Conversation Starters
- Be genuine: Start with a genuine compliment or observation. Show that you’ve taken the time to read their profile.
- Personalize your message: Tailor your conversation starter to the person’s interests or experiences. A personalized message is more likely to be engaging and get a response compared to a generic one.
- Ask open-ended questions: Instead of asking simple yes-or-no questions, encourage deeper conversation by asking open-ended questions.
- Don’t use excessive flattery: While compliments can be a great icebreaker, going overboard may come across as insincere and a potential red flag. Focus on genuine compliments.
- Don’t talk about sensitive topics: Politics, religion, and other controversial subjects are not the best conversation starters on Hinge. Keep the conversation light and friendly to create a positive first impression.
- Don’t rely on pickup lines or clichés: Messages like “Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?” are likely to be ignored or seen as insincere. Stick to original and personalized conversation starters.
- Don’t be aggressive or pushy: Give the other person space to respond and don’t bombard them with messages. It’s essential to respect their boundaries and let the conversation develop naturally.
Want Help Creating a Great Hinge Profile?
We at The Match Lab have spent years studying the science of how to write good Hinge prompts and how to select the right photos to use in a Hinge profile.
After years of research, we have developed a dating photo analyzer that uses an algorithm to select any person’s best photos for Hinge, or any other dating app. Just upload some photos of yourself, and our algorithm will reveal which photos you should be using in your Hinge profile and the ideal order they should go in.
We also offer professional dating profile writing services. Our professional Hinge profile writer can write your Hinge prompts for you and help your profile stand out from the crowd.
Get started now, or learn more about us on our website, so you can start getting more likes and better matches on Hinge.