The 39 Best Hinge Openers to Start Conversation in 2024
Here are 39 examples of good Hinge openers that effectively start conversations.
Go ahead… Copy and paste one of them directly into your next chat on Hinge and see what happens 😉
The 39 Best Hinge Openers:
1. “Your smile shines brighter than the sun. I’ve never needed sunscreen to view a Hinge profile before.”
2. “On a scale of one to America, how free are you for a coffee date?”
3. “I’m convinced that you and I could write the perfect rom-com. What should our meet cute be?”
4. “I’ve been staring at your smile for so long that I feel like I owe you a drink.”
5. “They say life is short, but I get the sense that dating you would make it go by even faster.”
6. “If you were a vegetable, you’d be a cute-cumber.”
7. “Do you believe in love at first swipe, or should we keep scrolling?”
8. “If you had to choose one, would your ideal date include laughter, good food, or a series of bad puns.”
9. “I have a feeling we could break the ice here faster than global warming.”
10. “Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at your pictures, everyone else disappears.”
11. “If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.”
12. “They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but your smile left me speechless.”
13. “I’m not a photographer, but I can definitely picture us together. Cheesy, I know.”
14. “Let’s be honest, we’re both on here for the same reason: to find someone awesome. Mission accomplished?”
15. “I’m no mathematician, but I’m pretty good with numbers. How about we chat a bit, exchange digits, and see where it goes?”
16. “I don’t usually initiate conversations, but when I saw your profile, I couldn’t resist.”
17. “Are you a parking ticket? Because you’ve got ‘Fine’ written all over you. Pun game strong, extra cringe. Hi, I’m [Your Name].”
18. “I don’t normally message first, but your profile made me break my own rules. I wonder what other rules I’d break for you…”
19. “You’ve got such a great smile that I had to take a moment to appreciate it. Mind if I join in with my own smile?”
20. “I have a theory that good conversations start with a great icebreaker. So, here’s mine.”
21. “I don’t mean to be cheesy, but you’re grate. Let’s brie amazing together.”
22. “I have a confession to make: I swiped right purely based on your first photo.”
23. “I have a feeling we’d make a great team. You bring the witty banter, and I’ll bring the terrible dance moves.”
24. “If laughter is the best medicine, then dating me will keep you healthy until 100. Ready for the prescription?”
25. “I see that we both love traveling. How about we skip the small talk and plan our future trips?”
26. “I have a theory that our personalities would blend together like the perfect cup of coffee. Want to test my hypothesis?”
27. “Your profile caught my attention like a squirrel spotting a shiny acorn. Bravo.”
28. “You seem like a book I’d be eager to read, turning every page with wonder at what the next chapter has in store.”
29. “I have a feeling that getting to know you would be like unwrapping a present on Christmas morning – filled with excitement and joy.”
30. “They say laughter is contagious, and I’m willing to risk an outbreak with you.”
31. “Your profile is like a catchy song on repeat in my mind. I what rhythm we’ll get into as a couple.”
32. “You must be a master chef because your profile pictures are serving some serious ‘heart-eyes’ appetizers. Can I apply to have the main course?”
33. “If you were to become a meme, what would you be most likely to be doing in it?”
34. “I have a feeling we could make a great karaoke duet. What’s your go-to song?”
35. “They say the best things in life are free, so how about I take you out for coffee?”
36. “I have a feeling that the universe conspired for our paths to cross on this app. Shall we uncover its mysterious plan together?”
37. “If you were a movie, I bet you’d be the one I’d watch on repeat. Let’s create our own reel of adventures and replay the climax over and over.”
38. “I have a feeling that our chemistry would be the envy of the periodic table. Let’s see if our elements align.”
39. “If your life were a meme, what would think it say?”
The Importance of Sending Great Hinge Openers
Whether you’re sending a like to someone in hopes of matching with them or you’re starting a chat with a new match on Hinge, you’ll want to put the effort into crafting a strong opener.
A great opening line can make the difference of matching vs. not, getting a reply from a match vs. getting ghosted.
Good openers start good conversations.
A well-crafted opening message should be engaging and relevant to the person you’re messaging.
By sending a thoughtful and captivating first message, you show that you’re taking your experience on Hinge seriously and won’t waste your match’s time.
The best Hinge openers serve as fun icebreakers, making it easier for both you and your match to feel at ease with getting to know each other.
On Hinge, you’ll want to tailor your opener to your match’s profile, as this’ll show that you’ve spent time going through their photos and prompts before reaching out.
Best Types of Hinge Openers
There are many types of openers you can send on Hinge.
Let’s see which one is best for you.
Question-based openers are a popular choice on Hinge because they invite the other person to share their thoughts or experiences.
For example, asking a food-related question like “Netflix or avocado?” is not only intriguing and unique but also known to have a higher response rate.
Icebreakers and games
Icebreakers and games work exceptionally well as Hinge openers, as they add a touch of fun to the conversation.
An example is Two truths and a lie; it challenges your match playfully, inviting them to guess which of the three statements is false.
Personalized openers are the best openers for Hinge because they show that you’ve taken an interest in your match’s profile and genuinely want to learn more about them.
For example, you can pick something from their profile, whether a photo or prompt, and ask them about it or comment on it in order start a conversation.
Sending a compliment as an opener on Hinge is useful when you want to set a positive vibe right from the start.
Tell your match what you like about them. Be genuine and specific in your compliment.
Topical openers help you use current events, trends, or shared interests as conversation starters.
You can comment on recent news or ask an out-of-the-box question to find common ground on a favorite movie or book.
Best Conversation Starters for Hinge
The best Hinge openers are those that effectively start conversation.
So it’s often a good idea to use a go-to conversation starter as your opener.
“Would you rather…” questions
Would you rather questions can be a fun way to break the ice on Hinge.
They invite your match to consider hypothetical scenarios and share their thoughts.
For example, ask a match, “Would you rather have the ability to time travel or teleport?”
This kind of question generates thoughtful responses and reveals your match’s preferences, priorities, and imagination.
“What would you do…” questions
“What would you do” scenarios can also be effective Hinge openers that start conversation.
These questions encourage your match to think creatively and share how they’d handle different situations.
For example, you could ask, “What would you do if you found a million dollars buried in your backyard?”
Keep it light and entertaining to spark a lively conversation.
Two truths and a lie
A classic Hinge conversation starter is the game two truths and a lie.
This activity encourages both you and your match to share interesting facts about yourselves while adding an element of mystery.
For example, share two truths about yourself, like “I’ve been skydiving” and “I studied abroad in Italy,” and a lie like “I’ve climbed Mount Everest.”
Your match will then try to guess which statement is false, and the conversation can continue from there.
Tips for Writing a Good Hinge Opener
Often, the best opener you could send on Hinge isn’t a generic one you copy and paste.
It’s one you write yourself.
Here are tips for how to write great openers of your own.
Use Compliments and Humor
When crafting an opening line for your Hinge conversation, using compliments and humor can be a winning combination.
Most people appreciate genuine compliments, and showcasing your sense of humor can demonstrate your confidence and make the conversation more enjoyable.
Use wordplay, puns, or make light-hearted references to their interests as a way to write funny openers.
To strike the right balance between complimenting and being funny, focus on something unique in the person’s profile.
This could be their choice of a cool outfit, an interesting hobby, or a distinctive feature.
By picking up on these details, you’ll show that you’ve paid attention to their profile, and it’s easier to come up with a personalized compliment.
Take the time to really understand their profile and create a personalized, genuine message.
Being playful and lighthearted can help break the ice and create an instant connection, though it’s important to avoid making jokes that could be offensive or crossing any boundaries.
The most effective approach to crafting good Hinge openers is to ask engaging questions.
By posing thoughtful questions, you connect with your match on a deeper level, give the conversation more room to grow, and show genuine interest in someone.
If you notice someone has a strong interest in a specific hobby based on their profile, then tailor your questions to these topics and ask something that’ll enable them to open up about a passion.
By connecting over shared interests, you can spark chemistry and have meaningful conversations with a Hinge match.
Make Use of Hinge Prompts
Carefully read through the person’s profile, including their photos, job, and their responses to prompts.
Focusing on their answers to Hinge prompts can give you a key strategy for starting a meaningful conversation and establishing a connection.
For instance, if they mentioned a pet or something about pets in their prompt response, you could use your opener to ask about their pet’s latest antics or their favorite story about their pet.
Remember, the goal of messaging on Hinge is to find a common interest and create a connection, and that is especially important when it comes to the first message.
Use the information on someone’s profile to craft personalized openers that show them you’ve paid attention to their interests and are invested in getting to know them better.
More Hinge Opener Tips and Things to Avoid
A good opener on Hinge has to grab the attention of the person you’re chatting with.
Showcasing your personality, interests, and desire to connect with someone in an engaging, personalized approach is the best way to do this.
Ask open-ended questions that allow for easy conversation and be playful when it feels natural.
Avoid starting conversations with bland or overused phrases such “hey” or “what’s up.” Instead, personalize your message to the person you’re reaching out to, or at least use a generic opening line that’s more clever and descriptive.
Want Help Creating a Great Hinge Profile?
We at The Match Lab have spent years studying the science of how to write good Hinge prompts and how to select the right photos to use in a Hinge profile.
After years of research, we have developed a dating photo analyzer that uses an algorithm to select any person’s best photos for Hinge, or any other dating app. Just upload some photos of yourself, and our algorithm will reveal which photos you should be using in your Hinge profile and the ideal order they should go in.
We also offer professional dating profile writing services. Our professional Hinge profile writer can write your Hinge prompts for you and help your profile stand out from the crowd.
Get started now, or learn more about us on our website, so you can start getting more likes and better matches on Hinge.